Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Happy

Today as I was changing Evvie, I asked her if she was happy or sad.

"Happy", she replied. "Happy." Good, I thought.

"Happy, happy, happy, happy." she averred.

I was pleased and finished the task of getting her bum cleaned, all the while listening the her chirping good humor. "Happy, happy, happy, happy," she repeated.

Back on her feet, she headed out of the room. As she trundled away the magical words faded into the distance,
"Happy, happy, happy, happy, happy..."



It was a good day.








Sometimes I think I spend too much time taking pictures of the girl. I try to be mindful of being directly involved in her life and interactions, rather than being concerned with getting every moment documented and shared with others. There are just so many contradictions. I feel selfish wheneasch of her small wondrous moments during the course of an ordinary day can only be witnessed by me. Should I write them down for her baby book? Should I put them on the blog? Should I just not think about them and let our lives flow unencumbered by self-reflexivity? Yes to all, no to all.

I think about taking photos this way: I want to have a lot of photos with Evvie and as a family. Things happen, and as morbid as it may seem, I may not be here tomorrow. I remember nothing from my time as a baby, but I want her to remember me. I want Evvie to be able to see how much her parents love her, and how hard we try to make the best choices for her. I want to give her this blog as a book on her 18th birthday so she can see all the struggles, fun, actions and musings of her well-intentioned yet foolish dad & mom.


You are my favorite person!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:53 AM

    I can totally relate! I feel like my camera is an extension of my arm or face some days. Ethan isn't always the camera ham he used to be, so I try to capture the moments when he fancies it. She'll love the montage when she's older!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:25 AM

    Hey Bro!
    One of my favorite things to do is to look back at the pictures from when I was a kid! My favorite? The one of us down in the house in the village in the living room, we are both on dads back and he has a 'fro and a mustache! What about the one with you standing in front of the barn with your Ernie and Bert sweatshirt and suspenders? Or the one where you are ready to go off on a hike at camp? Or ....I could go on, but you get the picture (hehe)...she will love them!!! We all love them!!!
    They make us Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy happy happy happy!!!!
    ~WCA

    ReplyDelete
  3. You hit the nail right on the head. I second every word of it.

    ReplyDelete